Asbestos awareness (Reg 10 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations – Inform, Instruct & Train)
Paragraph 232 : Asbestos awareness training should be given to employees whose work could foreseeably disturb the fabric of a building and expose them to asbestos or who supervise or influence the work.
Paragraph 233 : In particular, it should be given to those workers in the refurbishment, maintenance and allied trades where it is foreseeable that ACMs may become exposed during their work. This includes, but is not limited to:
- demolition workers;
- construction workers;
- general maintenance staff;
- gas fitters;
- painters and decorators;
- shop fitters;
- heating and ventilation engineers;
- telecommunication engineers;
- computer and data installers;
- fire and burglar alarm installers;
As a result of this training you will be aware of:
- The properties of asbestos and its effects on health, including the increased risk of lung cancer for asbestos workers who smoke;
- The types, uses and likely occurrence of asbestos and ACMs in buildings and plant;
- The general procedures to be followed to deal with an emergency, e.g. an uncontrolled release of asbestos into the workplace;
- How to avoid the risks from asbestos, e.g. for building work, no employee should carry out work which disturbs the fabric of a building unless the employer has confirmed that ACMs are not present.
Should be provided annually a shorter 1.5 hour refresher training course is available for those requiring annual refresher. It can be provided for two years following initial awareness every third year attendance at the asbestos awareness course is required.